Glasgow Warriors suffered a Celtic Challenge defeat to Brython Thunder in a hard fought clash under the lights at Scotstoun.

It was a big day for the club with the double header seeing the women’s team play before the men’s and a healthy crowd was in attendance to watch Glasgow look to get their first win of the campaign, but they couldn’t quite manage it despite some strong performances.

Glasgow picked up the first points of the match when a brilliant run from Roma Fraser took them right up the pitch and they then earned a penalty which full back Lucy MacRae put between the posts.

But there was a blow on 9 minutes when the visitors got their first try by taking advantage of a mistake from Warriors. Sioned Harries spotted that the ball was free and she sneaked in to get her hand on the ball before the extras were added to give Brython Thunder a 7-3 lead early in the match.

It was a match that didn’t have much in the way of attacking threat with much of the play taking place in the middle of the pitch but with 29 on the clock, the visitors extended their advantage when a scrum led to Rosie Carr crashing over the line but the extras couldn’t be added on this occasion.

Glasgow looked threatening at times but they couldn’t get themselves over the line and needed to be more clinical, but they were handed a boost just before half time when Brython’s Megg Webb was shown a yellow card.

And they took advantage of the extra player early in the second half with Claudia McLaren racing through to go under the posts after a brilliant break before the extras were added and it was back to a two point game.

But even before Webb was back on the pitch, Brython had gone back to being nine in front when they forced their way across the try line again and the extras were added by Mollie Wilkinson.

And the visitors continued to take control of the scoreboard and added their fourth try of the match on 59 minutes with Webb, now back on the pitch and causing problems for the home side, getting on the scoresheet but they couldn’t add the extras on this occasion and it was 24-10.

Glasgow couldn’t be kept down though and Fraser got herself on the scoresheet and it was a try she deserved for her performance on the wing. After a penalty advantage, there was a ball chipped out wide and Fraser ran onto it to get the score.

MacRae took the kick and got the extras to take it back to a one try game with 17 to go and it was a game that was offering a lot of encouragement to the home side in a season where there has been a lot of learning for them.

Glasgow pushed for a late try that could have saw them earn a draw but they couldn’t quite get it over the line and the visitors took the points.